Full eyelashes are a huge trend, booming Instagram and other social media platforms. But if you are not the lucky one born with full and strong lashes, you’ll need to opt for a lash extension treatment to get your dream lash look.
However, due to the lack of reliable and high-quality information, many wonder - do eyelash extensions ruin your lashes?
In this article, we'll discuss what may cause eye irritations and lash shed and how to avoid these situations. We’ll also talk about some of the things to consider before visiting a lash artist.
Do lash extensions ruin your eyelashes?
Let’s start by stating once and for all - lash extensions do not ruin your natural eyelashes. Nevertheless, one key factor to consider before getting this treatment is choosing professional lash extensions artists who know what they are doing.
If a highly experienced artist applies false eyelashes, they won’t damage a person’s natural eyelashes. On the contrary, such an artist would emphasize the person’s best features by applying false lashes perfectly with natural lashes.
Of course, all of us have seen terrible eyelash extension examples on social media and in real life, and that’s what scares a lot of people away. Therefore, doing your research before choosing a lash technician is key!
Before making the final decision on getting lash extensions, consider:
- lash artist’s professional experience;
- lash artist’s qualifications and certifications;
- client reviews online;
- products they are using (extensions, lash glue, gels, etc.);
- photos of their work.
What to know before applying eyelash extensions?
Before your eyelash extensions procedure, you should do the following:
- Consult with your lash artist on what products they will be using during the treatment. This is the key to avoid any allergic reactions to your eyelids and overall skin around your eyes due to certain ingredients in the products.
- If possible, we highly recommend having a patch test at least 48 hours before the original eyelash application procedure. However, keep in mind that even a negative patch test won’t save you against sensitivities or allergies in some rare cases. Therefore, choose the most qualified artist you can afford to ensure the best treatment possible without the risk to your health.
- Last but not least, remember that the result after the procedure might last for 3-5 weeks. To maintain your fake lashes, make sure you take good care of them and visit your lash artist for regular fill-in procedures.
What are the disadvantages of eyelash extensions?
There are many more advantages of getting an eyelash extension procedure. However, some cons are worth considering before making the final decision.
In some cases, lash extension treatment can cause the following disadvantages:
- allergies and irritations due to certain products;
- an inexperienced artist can make your lashes look fake and cheap, or, in worst-case scenario, damage them;
- taking extra care of your lashes (updating your makeup kit, avoiding saunas or pools for a short period).
Avoiding the first two cons is quite easy if you are opting for a professional lash artist.
Now let’s quickly discuss what kind of changes in terms of your makeup and beauty products you might need to make and how lash extensions may affect your regular visits to the sauna or pool.
For instance, if you love wearing a lot of makeup, you’ll need to take extra care of false eyelashes and clean them very well. In this case, we would recommend only using make-up removers and cleansers made for lash extensions. If not, some products (especially oil-based products) may cause lash extensions to last much shorter than expected.
What is more, if you are a sauna lover, you’ll be disappointed to learn that you should avoid saunas after the lash extension procedure for at least 24 hours.
The good news is that there is a workaround! If your lash artist uses an Instant cure after treatment, you can forget these limitations and enjoy your sauna whenever you like to - even right after the treatment.
Are fake lashes worth it?
Yes! Fake lashes are definitely worth it, and we have some convincing reasons why:
- You’ll save time. Applying makeup in the morning can take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes. Eyelash extensions will save your time and let you enjoy that morning coffee with no rush. Who wouldn’t want that?
- You’ll save money on makeup products. Not only do fake lashes enable you to spend less time in front of a mirror, but they also help you save on eye makeup products such as mascara and eye makeup remover.
- You’ll enhance your overall beauty. Some of our clients report that false lashes are like a non-surgical facelift. They help you hide droopy eyelids and make your eyes look more awake, fresh, and attractive.
In fact, despite the type of natural lash you have (thicker or thinner), false eyelashes can make them look more enhanced and attractive.
Do eyelashes grow back after lash extensions?
Yes! Your eyelashes grow back after lash extensions fall out or are removed! However, remember that lashes grow in cycles, and all of us have different lash growth cycles. To increase the speed of your natural eyelashes, consult your lash artist for specific products, such as eyelash serums.
Can you swim with eyelash extensions?
Technically, you can swim with eyelash extensions. However, remember that salty or swimming pool water can irritate your eyes, especially if you have lash extensions. Therefore, we recommend washing your lash extensions with water immediately after getting out of the salty water or swimming pool to avoid unwanted irritations.
Why are my eyelashes so short after extensions?
Usually, eyelashes seem shorter after extensions due to visual illusion. Lashes shed naturally, and when extensions fall out, your lashes seem shorter until they reach their full length. Think of your lashes as your hair. Your hair also sheds naturally, and you can always see baby hairs ready to grow.
How can I grow my eyelashes in a week?
It is possible if you use extra strong lash serums. However, these products usually contains hormones and prostaglandins that change the natural lash growth cycle and make lashes shed faster. Instead, opt for gentle lash serums that take longer to achieve results but ensure that your natural lashes are healthy.